Tuesday, August 30, 2011

paranoid much?

Was briefly amused TLC's Livin' for the Apocalypse.  I am all for sustainable living: wind power; chickens in the yard; cute little goats producing milk; and massive greenhouse gardens.  Pretty much all of this, my current city would frown upon if I started to raising poultry or releasing small cute goats in my yard. 

When sustainable living is overshadowed by peoples drive to prepare for the end of the world, it gets a bit creepy.  In 1999, I got a phone call from a grade school chum of mine.  It had been so many years since I had given her presence on earth any thought I actually had to ask my mother who she was.  She was calling to warn me about the end of the world in 2000.  Her husband and whoever else were fleeing to the country in preparation for the end of the world and she wanted to warn me.  Ok.....how interesting. When she asked me how I was preparing for the end of days...my response..."grad school?"  This did not please her.  In fact I remember a large grouping of people were focused on hoarding food, getting generators, and contacting aliens or something in preparation for the end of the world in 2000.  As usual I missed it, if the world did end.  Now I wonder if she is preparing again for the end of all things?

Now 2012 is hiding around the corner and people are restocking their beans, buying chickens, and eating bunnies?!  Really, again?!  Guess I will do the same thing I did the last time the world was going to end...fall asleep before midnight, clutching my towel in just case I had to flag a space ship for quick off world transport.  Will I pursue a higher degree this time?  Probably not.   Do I put a lot of stock in end world predictions, not really.  

No comments: