Tuesday, August 20, 2013

paranoid much?

So I have a number of "acquaintances" that firmly believe in every piece of conspiracy mumbo-jumbo that flits across the internet, the news media, or crosses their tiny brains. Needless to say, I don't invite these people to my house, nor am I really interested in even meeting them for coffee. I give them their space, I consider them obsessed, crazy, and frankly, I am not interested in reveling in their paranoid delusions. The fact that they corner me and insist on telling me about what is rumbling about their brain is rather disturbing and boring. The fact they have so much time to focus on these conspiracy bits and pieces says that they really need to get a life.

Salon.com's article “I’m not a terrorist: I’m eight years old, and that’s my science project” addresses that paranoia is more about us then reality.

"When people enter an apocalyptic frame of mind, the historian Richard Landes has observed, “everything quickens, enlightens, coheres. They become semiotically aroused— everything has meaning, patterns.” In the months following 9/11, that mentality was almost inescapable. Consider some of the flotsam on the Internet after the attacks. One frequently forwarded e-mail gave readers instructions on how to fold a $20 bill, revealing an image that seemed to predict the planes hitting the towers..."

No comments: