Thursday, June 5, 2014

Tradition of Excellence and skin cancer...

Having some experience with Texas summer sun, I know for a fact that I would need to reapply my kids sunscreen every other hour or so. Why? Dude...Swedish/Scottish/Irish children would burn to a cinder and to get a doctor's note to put your sunscreen on, that is bogus shit. While in Texas I had my worst sunburn ever, and I received it by forgetting to reapply my sunscreen half way through the day. I can completely understand Christy Riggs disgust with this North East Independent School District. Hey if my kid came home burned to a crisp, and I had sent sunscreen with him that should have been applied..me thinks that could be grounds for a lawsuit. Particularly with the history of skin cancer in my family, going to need to pay for the kids cancer treatments in the future.

Good grief, the schools in ND sunscreen the snot out of kids. My son goes to preschool, not only does he go to school sun-screened, they lather him up half way through the day again.

Me thinks that  North East Independent School District should rethink their sunscreen rules or change their "Tradition of Excellence" to "Tradition of Excellence and future with skin cancer..."

"When students at a San Antonio, Texas, school went on a field trip this week, parent Christy Riggs wanted her daughter to bring sunscreen along to protect her from over six hours in the sun.  To her dismay, the North East Independent School District has a ban restricting students from bringing sunscreen to school or on field trips because it is considered a toxic substance.
“The school wants us to lather our kids up in sunscreen before school, but when they’re outside all day or swimming, they need to be reapplying every couple hours,” Riggs told ABC News.

....District officials review school policies yearly, and spokeswoman Chancellor said there is a chance they will revise their ban on sunscreen. Until then, students will have to come lathered in sunscreen and will not be allowed to reapply unless they have a doctor’s note."

Read more here: Texas Mom Red-Faced Over School Sunscreen Ban

No comments: